Thursday, November 5, 2015

What You Don’t Say Matters ~ thoughts by Jenny, Tracy, Laura & Amy

What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.  - Ralph Waldo Emerson
facial_expressions.jpg
Picture taken from: http://www.creducation.org/resources/nonverbal_communication/


When it comes to body language, what you do, or do not do, can affect your relationship with students. It is important to do periodic self-checks to make sure that you are communicating how you intend to with your students. We may not even be aware what unintentional messages we are sending our students  through our non-verbal communication.  Understanding how to read signals may help you learn some things about your students as well. Some things to keep in mind by author, James Alan Sturtevant, in You’ve Gotta Connect:
  1. What messages does my body language project to students?
  2. Are these the messages I want to project?
  3. What does the body language of others reflect back to me about my words, presentation, or behavior in a given situation?


Explore the links and videos below to learn how nonverbal communication is as important as verbal communication. Big Bang Theory on Body Language


How good are you at reading other people’s body language?  Take this brief quiz to find out. (Quiz Link)

But sometimes we need to use nonverbal cues to get our students back on track.



“I’m bilingual, speaking English and body language. I prefer the latter, because I can speak it silently and without listening and while my back is turned.” ― Jarod Kintz



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these important items to remember when communicating with everyone!

    ReplyDelete